Sunday, August 18, 2019

For the babies, their families and those that care for them...

As we do each year, we feel called to give back to the place that was Noah's only home... Banner Desert.  This year it holds yet another memory we cherish, in the recent birth of Noah's brother Jennings just a few weeks ago.

Jarrett and I talked as we were in labor that it was hard to believe it was now 4 years ago, we were in the labor and delivery room, scared out of our minds, and facing a reality no parent wants to experience.  Little did we know our lives were about to change in ways far beyond our understanding.

We can look back on that time now and give thanks, but in the middle of it, we felt like our world was being turned upside down.  And that is why we know it is important to go back, to give what we can and to help those other families, who like us, are living in a reality filled with fear, uncertainty and a prayer of hope.  We were showered with so much kindness in that time, and it was that love and support that sustained us in those challenging times.  So for as long as Noah's Kindness Project exists, going back to Banner and sharing with others, will be a permanent part of the acts of kindness we give.
The crew arriving at Banner to share gifts!

So here is what we plan to share this year....

Scent cloths...
Prior to our NICU experience I had not a clue what a scent cloth was but generally speaking it is basically what it is called.  It is a small cloth that is worn by the mother or the father so that the parent's scent is absorbed into the cloth and then that cloth is placed near or on the baby so that the baby comes to recognize or feel comfort by their parent's smell.  What a great thing right?

I remember when they were first shared with me in the NICU it was actually something I felt like I could do to help.  As a parent, watching your precious baby hooked up to monitor after monitor, poked time and time again, is hard to say the least.  You'd give anything to change places with them, to take their pain and the procedures they have to endure.  In some ways you feel helpless.

For me, wearing, exchanging and placing the scent cloths near Noah was something I could do to hopefully help.  And so I did my best to always make sure he had my scent near him.

Earlier this year, I got an email from the leader of the NICU parent board at Banner, a group I continue to stay connected and involved with, and I learned that they were short on scent cloths.  They were looking for around 500 to have on hand for families.

Thankfully Nana (Noah's Nana) is an excellent sewer and when I shared with her, she got right to work on it and has been making them continuously.  Recently she came over and we spent a good chunk of a day (after we got my sewing machine working again--- it has been awhile since I've been sewing and it went all Tin Man from the Wizard of Oz on me). and we got a few dozen made up.

And even today Michael wanted to help me in making some to share.  He did a great job and was eager to do more!

In sharing these scent cloths I pray that the families who wear them find comfort they are doing something to help their babies and that they will get to take their baby home in good health in the coming days.

Heavenly Slumber Sleepers and Baby Quilts:

I wish my sewing talent were anywhere near that of Nana (Jarrett's Mom) and my dear friend Trudi's mom Leisa.  As evidence of my dried up sewing machine, they are not, and that is why I am so thankful for their efforts in creating the beautiful gifts of baby quilts and the heavenly slumber sleepers.

This is the rainbow quilt Nana made for Jennings to have in his first few months... the perfect size for him!
The baby quilts are shared with families as they get closer to getting to take their baby's home with them. The beautiful quilts are perfect for traveling in the car or carrying them with you as you take your baby from place to place.  They are airy so they are not too hot and made in the perfect size for the often premie babies the NICU is home too. 



The baby quilts are shared with families as they get closer to getting to take their baby's home with them. The beautiful quilts are perfect for traveling in the car or carrying them with you as you take your baby from place to place.  They are airy so they are not too hot and made in the perfect size for the often premie babies the NICU is home too.

And for those families who like us, were unable to bring home our baby, Nana creates the most beautiful Heavenly Slumber Sleepers for the babies who sleep among the stars in Heaven.  Nana and I have talked and she said it always is a feeling of mixed emotions as she makes these gifts because it means another family has suffered heart-ache and yet she hopes and prays that this gift can bring their family's comfort.


I know for us, Jarrett and I felt comfort in knowing Noah's body was wrapped in a beautiful sleeper made with complete love. His body, even in his final moments was wrapped in love.  That gave us peace and we hope other families find comfort in that too.

Noah's Kindness Project Care Coolers:
Last year we started the tradition of gifting coolers filled with all sorts of goodies in them to some of the families in the NICU.  The coolers were shared with small gifts like toothbrushes, toothpaste, chap stick, snacks, an ice pack and a journal.  We were given one when we were in the NICU and I still have that lunch pack today.  I often take it to work and it brings back memories of a time I'm so thankful I got with Noah and it serves as a reminder as to the kindness someone shared with me to help me in what was a very stressful time.

We gift the coolers with the treats as a way to help parents going back and forth between home, the NICU, and work.  The coolers also serve a second purpose in that they can be used for moms who are transporting their breast milk back and forth from home to the NICU.  We hope these gifts can bring some comfort and peace for the families.
Isabelle was a great help last year in packing them and is already excited about this year's efforts.  We've started to collect some supplies and she's already taken inventory for us!  I also wanted to mention I'm thankful for my friend Debbie and Cambell's Crew Cares for their donations to help pack the coolers with treats.  Thank you! 



Gifts for the always hard working healthcare professionals:

Of the several times now that I have been a patient at Banner, each experience has been unique and different and yet there is one constant.  That constant is that the people who provide care are exceptional and give their best day in and day out.  I've said in the past that I felt Banner Desert was a special place, and it is to me, not because of the structure, or the walls, the place itself... Banner Desert is a great place, because of all the people who make it great.  It is the nurses, the doctors, the respiratory therapists, even the custodial staff.  This time when I went into the hospital to be induced with Jennings, one of the custodial staff made eye contact with me as I walked into Labor and Delivery... they smiled and said, "Wishing you the best."  It is people like that, who go out of their way to provide service and care.  It is the people at Banner (and I"m sure the other hospitals and facilities across this world) that make us remember the place as special.




So to thank them for their continued service day after day, we bring treats to share.  Nothing compared to what they truly deserve, but tokens that hopefully will remind them that they are appreciated, their service does not go unnoticed and that they are valued.  It is one of my favorite parts of taking gifts back to Banner.

I love to see the familiar faces and those who showed us so much love and kindness.

Two of Noah's primary nurses who are now friends.  Melanie and Brandi, so thankful our lives were brought together. 

So back to Banner we will go. I'm excited, just typing this.

Until next time,
Angie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Noah's Kindness Project 2023- September 16!

 This year we will celebrate Noah's Kindness Project on the afternoon of Saturday, September 16.  We'd love for you to join us for a...